Saturday, November 17, 2012

Cinnamon Cupcakes With Cinnamon Maple Buttercream

Alright. It's almost 1:30am. I am awake & chugging one of my husband's disgusting cans of Mountain Dew Game Fuel... seriously, ew. Not digging it. But I was desperate.

I've been neglecting this blog for a few weeks. Things got a little... crazy.. for a while there. There were illnesses. Many illnesses. & Parent-teacher conferences. & Deep cleaning our apartment. I cannot BELIEVE how much CRAP was in this place. We donated like, seven garbage bags full of clothes & five giant 55 gallon garbage bags full of toys. & Guess what? The kids' dresses are still practically overflowing & their closets are still full of toys. It feels nice to have (most of) the clutter out of here, though. Ugh. What a nightmare, though. Honestly. I love having a clean apartment, but I sure do hate cleaning. 

OOH, OOH, OOH. In more exciting news, I finally got a KitchenAid Stand Mixer & oh. my. god. Guys. GUYS. How did I ever live without it!? It is everything I thought it would be. It is so magical.


Look at her. Look at her in all her glory. Siiiigh. I'm so in love. & It's my favorite color of all time! Cornflower blue! *Swoon* What color do you have? Or what color would you want?

Alright. Enough nonsense. It is now after 2am. I am very distracted by all of the things.

I've been wanting to do some type of maple flavor profile for a while, now. & What goes perfectly with maple? Cinnamon, of course! So I decided to do a cinnamon cake & pair it with a buttercream crafted from cinnamon & maple syrup. It simply had to do be done. The cake is fluffy & has a warm, cinnamon flavor. The maple cinnamon icing is absolutely divine. It's rich & creamy & absolutely luscious. I garnished them with a little homemade snickerdoodle that I whipped up on a whim while I was waiting for the cupcakes to cool (recipe for the snickerdoodles to follow in a future post). 

Cinnamon Cupcakes
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup buttermilk (you can make your own by adding 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

2. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & salt to small mixing bowl. Whisk together & set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, or in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs for 10-20 seconds. Add sugar & continue to beat for 30 seconds. Then add vanilla & oil. Beat until mixed well.
4. Reduce mixer speed to low & add half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk, then the remaining flour & finally the remaining buttermilk. Mix until just combined. 

5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full & bake for 12-14min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cinnamon Maple Buttercream
(adapted from Your Cup Of Cake)

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
8oz package of cream cheese
1 tablespoon maple syrup
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1.  Beat butter & cream cheese together for 4-5min.

2. Add maple syrup, sugar, vanilla & cinnamon. 

3. Beat until nice & fluffy!





Until next time! :)

- Kristina

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment